- On Air
- Music News
- Calendar of Events
- Support WERS
- About WERS
WERS’ student-produced and managed news department is the recipient of eleven Associated Press student awards, including News Station of the Year, presented April 27. These awards were presented for both the regular news programming and WERS News’ radio magazine, You Are Here.
WERS News won first place for:
• News Station of the Year – Awarded to News Director Victoria Bedford
• Breaking News: “Boston Marathon Bombing Coverage” – Awarded to anchor Abigail Collins
• Continuing Coverage: “Boston Strong” – Awarded to reporter Nicholas de la Canal
• Documentary: “Kennedy, A Legacy” – Awarded to Victoria Bedford, Elizabeth Gillis, Samuel Smith, Xia Rondeau, Claire Lancaster
• Feature Reporting: “Love, Marriage, and the Law” – Awarded to reporter Nicholas de la Canal
• Investigative Reporting: “Robin Hood of South Boston” – Awarded to News Director Victoria Bedford
• Newscast - Awarded to anchor John King
• Public Affairs: “The Mayor’s Barber” – Awarded to reporter Jared Bennett
• Sports Program: “Sports Rivalries” – Awarded to reporter Jacob Carozza
• Talk Show: “George and Tori: Nova Scotia” – Awarded to host Victoria Bedford and producer Brittany Gervais
• Use of Sound: “Weirdo Records” – Awarded to reporter Brittany Gervais.
“I couldn’t be more proud of our news department and you are here staff,” said Jack Casey, General Manager of WERS. “These awards will serve the students well as they present their resumés for employment in the industry, and the hard work and dedication that they demonstrated in producing the shows that won the awards will also serve them well in their careers.”
“Everyone worked so hard this year, and it was such a good team, I’m very happy we were rewarded for all of our efforts,” said You Are Here producer Elizabeth Gillis, who accepted the award for Best Documentary.
WERS News is composed of a team of anchors, hard news and public affairs reporters, web writers and producers, who produce twice-daily radio broadcasts, online articles, reporter packages, environmental reports, social media updates and our AP-award winning weekly public affairs show, focused on issues in Boston and beyond.