Mixtape Mayhem: The Ivy League
As the summer of G.O.O.D. music continues, Cyhi The Prynce has just released his mixtape called The Ivy League. This is the G.O.O.D. music member’s first release in over a year since his last mixtape, Royal Flush 2, last June. This is a solid offering from Cyhi coming in the midst of a summer filled with new and good music. Cyhi named this mixtape the Ivy League after his recent movement. Cyhi is now calling all his fans Ivy League club members because his music is elite and on another level. Production on this mixtape is handled by Mike Will, Anthem, Beat Billionaire, Lex Luger, Drumma Boy, and more. Features include B.O.B., Travis Porter, Yelawolf, Big K.R.I.T., Chris Brown, Big Sean, Hit Boy, and more.
Some of the stand-out tracks on this 21 track mixtape are:
- “A-Town” featuring B.o.B. & Travis Porter – In this ode to his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia, Cyhi enlists the help of other natives B.o.B. and group Travis Porter. With Travis Porter on the hook, B.o.B. and Cyhi narrate you through a normal day riding through Atlanta. I’m especially fond of B.o.B.’s verse where he says “We see through the bullsh*t, let’s call it cellophane rap.”
- “Food Savers & Scissors” featuring Schoolboy Q – Cyhi isn’t glorifying selling weed, but he is explaining how important it was to him making money before rap. “Food Savers & Scissors” refers to process of packaging the weed so they can distribute it without the smell getting out.
- “Tool” featuring Pill & Trouble – This Illusive Orchestra produced track has the smoothest beat on the whole tape due to its sampling of Sade’s legendary track “Smooth Operator.” On this track, they explain why they had to carry guns growing up in Atlanta because of people that were always willing to test them and start trouble.
- “Drank & Smoke” featuring Yelawolf & Big K.R.I.T. – Laid back and smooth, this track is perfect for people to vibe to. They all deliver on this track when narrating their process of enjoying their “happy” substances. Cyhi echoes “You can smell it on my breath. You can smell it on my clothes.”
- “100 Bottles” featuring Chris Brown & Big Sean – If he was to make a video for a song off this mixtape, Cyhi should definitely use this song. The only party record from the mixtape delivers. The Trey Songz sample on this hook is perfect for this DJ Chuckie beat. I love Big Sean’s verse when he says “Holding down my city but I pick up that commission. Boy I run my city, you might need my permission.”
This is a quality project from Cyhi and hope to hear more stuff from him soon. I expect some great verses from him and the rest of the G.O.O.D. music on their upcoming compilation album Cruel Summer set to drop this summer. Check out this video of Cyhi The Prynce’s The Ivy League release party.
By Malcolm Gray
If you liked this, check out:
Mixtape Mayhem: Fantasea
Mixtape Mayhem: 5: Murder By Numbers