Mixtape Mayhem: Self Made Vol. 2
Rick Ross brings us MMG Presents: Self Made Vol. 2. Ever since they released the Self Made Vol. 1 album last year, MMG has been on a winning streak. MMG, meaning Maybach Music Group, consists of Rick Ross, Meek Mill, Wale, Stalley, French Montana, and new recruit Omarion (formerly of B2K). Every member of the team has dropped a project within the last year. They keep the momentum going with this new record and it doesn’t disappoint.
Here are some of the stand-out tracks on this album:
- “Power Circle” featuring Gunplay, Stalley, Wale, Rick Ross, Meek Mill, and Kendrick Lamar – The album opens up with this nearly nine minute long track about being welcomed into the MMG family and what it’s like to be part of such a powerful group in hip-hop. Wale and Kendrick Lamar shine brightly on this song. This is one of my favorite tracks off the whole album.
- “This Thing of Ours” featuring Wale, Omarion, Rick Ross, and Nas – On this smooth track produced by Don Cannon, Wale and Rick Ross talk about the trials of tribulations of becoming successful and trying to work on a movement. Omarion provides a nice hook and Nas’ verse fits the song perfectly.
- “All Birds” featuring Rick Ross & French Montana – Ross and French talk drug talk over this great Beat Billionaire beat that really makes this track stand out. It’s an automatic head-nodder. It had pretty smooth verses from Ross as well.
- “Actin Up” featuring Meek Mill, Wale, and French Montana – This is the second single off of the album and currently everybody’s favorite. This song refers to all the women who don’t behave as they should and all the men who let them get away with it.
- “I Be Puttin On” featuring Wale, Roscoe Dash, Wiz Khalifa, and French Montana – Roscoe Dash’s voice fits this Boi-1da beat perfectly. In this track Wale, Wiz, & French talk about living the life and enjoying the fame. They say it’s cool to show off some times when you can afford to.
- “M.I.A.” featuring Omarion & Wale – An ex-lover is the motivation for this song. In the better of the two R&B themed songs on the album, Omarion is getting things off his chest about his girlfriend that just left him. Wale lends a nice verse at the end to make this song complete.
MMG Presents: Self Made Vol. 2 is a good compilation of some of the top talents in hip-hop right now. The album is pretty cohesive and has a good flow to it. With MMG having to compete with the GOOD Music group for the best team in Hip-Hop, this album helps them stake their claim as the best. Check out their video for “Actin Up” below and make sure you tune in to 889@NIGHT Monday – Friday nights from 10PM – 2AM to hear music from MMG and everybody else in Hip-Hop!
By Malcolm J. Gray